Sunday, August 11, 2013

Slicing and Dicing

First I must rant.  Why is it that when mothers/grandmothers watch the children they are responsible for them, but when fathers/grandfathers watch the children it is the mother/grandmother that is still responsible for them?  I don't get it!

Today, I was fixing dinner and since what I was cooking involved hot popping grease I did not want the children in the kitchen.  The older two were next door playing, so they weren't the problem.  It was their two year old brother Justin that was the problem.  You remember this kind of two year old; he's never seen a wall he can't climb, a bowl of water he won't dump,  the back of a couch he won't jump off of, a mud puddle he won't jump in, or a door he can't open.  Yes, that is our sweet little grandson, also known as "Nana's Little Terror".  Anyway, all went well for a while.  I could hear the TV and Justin playing (meaning toys being thrown or dropped) and an occasional, "No, Justin! Don't do that!  Do you want a spanking?" and Justin's sweet little, "Yes."  He says, "Yes" like most kids say, "No"  After a while I realized I wasn't hearing Justin playing.  So, I yelled to my DH in the living room, "What's going on with Justin?  It is awful quiet."  I heard some mumbling and grumbling coming from the living room and then "I'll find him."  I headed to the living room to help just in time to see Roger come out of our bedroom with Justin held at arm's length in front of him.  My husband says, "I KNOW WHY THEIR TOILET WAS STOPPED UP LAST WEEK!He's got the toilet stopped up and water is over flowing all over the floor!!!"  Then he plopped Justin down on the floor and yanked the soppy wet jeans and shirt off of him and stomped back into the bathroom to clean up the mess. I stripped the soggy diaper off of Justin, and let him run around for a minute naked while I turned the fire down under everything on the stove.  Then I cleaned him up and dried him off, put a clean diaper on him and found clean clothes for him to wear.  I plopped him down in the chair and made him sit there for two minutes. He knew he was in trouble and he better behave.

I can understand why Roger was mad at Justin.  Obviously, Justin misbehaved.  But why was he mad at me?  Okay, I went to the bathroom and forgot to put the latch back on the door, but if he had been watching the little guy,  he wouldn't have had a chance to make such a mess.  Neither of us are yellers by nature, but this time when he yelled at me about not latching the door I yelled back at him about not watching the child.  I can take care of three children at the same time and cook a meal.  I might not be able to breathe when dinner is ready (the anxiety thing), but none of them would have made a mess or been in danger.  Why can't he watch one little boy and keep him out of trouble? This is not the first time he's made a mess in the bathroom while Roger was watching him!

I will also point out that after dinner, DH hid out in the bedroom with the door closed and locked while I did dishes and watched all three kids until their Mom picked them up after work.

So, I ask you again, why is it that when mothers/grandmothers watche the children, they are responsible for the children, but when fathers/grandfathers watche the children, it is still the mother/grandmother that is responsible?

Here is what I accomplished tonight.  I laid the strips I did on top of another fabric that coordinates.  I think I am going to need more fabric. It take a lot more fabric than you realize when you start sewing them together.  You lose 1/2" of every strip you cut.
I think I prefer it better without the coordinating fabric that I laid the strips on.  It just doesn't have enough pink in it.  I'll have to do some more stash diving. I may need to find another green.

Happy Sewing!

Hugs, Phylly

1 comment:

  1. Put Justin in a high chair where you can see him while you cook. If he gets out, spank him, and put him back in it. Worked for me. No throwing and no climbing unless outside.
    Training is the key, and that includes training hubby.  Of course, you know my mantra on that.
    Sorry your day was like that.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete